The BuHi Lights will create a temporary light installation in the Buford Highway corridor to accomplish the following objectives:
- encourage play in unexpected everyday spaces
- reflect the area's cultural diversity
- create a safer and more playful and people-friendly environment
- encourage residents and visitors to explore new places
The BuHi Lights was originally a recommendation in the Buford Highway Master Plan, a Livable Centers Initiative study sponsored by the Atlanta Regional Commission with the Cities of Chamblee and Doraville and adopted by the Cities in 2017, and was inspired by the cloth and paper lanterns currently displayed in local shopping centers.
Creative Agency: Dashboard US | Project Manager: Pavan Iyer | Graphic Design: Marissa Childers
- Issue Request for Artist Proposal (by invitation only): July 2018
- Announce Winning Artist(s): September 2018
- Community Engagement and Children's Workshop(s): September 2018
- Fabrication and Installation: September-October 2018
- Artist(s) Talk (tentative): September 27, 2018
- Reveal and Opening Day: October 2018
- Takedown: December 2018
KABOOM! PLAY EVERYWHERE CHALLENGE
The BuHi Lights is a winner of the KaBOOM! Play Everywhere Challenge, which supports projects in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami that encourage play in unexpected places, creating opportunities for kids to get the play they need to thrive. To view other winning projects in Atlanta, click this link.
We will appoint an Advisory Committee comprised of community stakeholders and conduct design workshops at local schools in the Buford Highway area. If you would like to volunteer to lead or participate in our community engagement efforts, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are excited to bring our lanterns to spaces throughout the Buford Highway corridor. If you would like to host our lantern installations or sponsor our Opening Day Festival to celebrate project completion, or otherwise express your support for this project, please send an email to email@example.com.
We need enthusiastic, organized, and committed volunteers to make this project happen! We welcome artists, designers, teachers, people who love kids to help us during our workshops, and Festival volunteers for Opening Day! Join us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.